EXPERIENCING SPIRITUAL PRESSURE
Many things and many people cannot be at their best until they have gone through a process.
Isaiah 54:2 Enlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations: spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes.
- The process of getting the best out involves pain and effort.
- Tea, Palm Kernel,
- The difference between having yam and pounded yam
- To have a baby
- To have sought out skills. Higher education. Mediocre and excellence.
- The quality produced is directly related to the pressure.
- Potential is more than the pain.
- Sometimes the pressure is from you or from others and it may be divinely ochestrated.
Pressure from within.
- When you confront yourself with the truth of life.
- When you recognise that if you fail to press forward, you’ll begin to retrogress.
- Why am I here? Is this enough? Do I have potential to do more? Is there still space?
- When vision is birthed and is pursued with vigour.
- David’s confrontation with Goliath was borne out of pressure from within. The demand on the anointed prompted and pressured him to volunteer to face Goliath in battle.
- When you know where you are coming from and you know you cannot afford to relax yet, you’ll put yourself under more pressure to pursue and conquer. Life is a race and it remains a disaster whenever an individual with great potential step out of the ring before they have achieved.
Philippians 3:12-14 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Pressure from others
The demand of those who need us. When you are responsible for the welfare of others. When the outcome of your pressure stand to benefit not only you. Immediate family, extended family and other relatives. Our communities.
In response to those who are waiting for the announcement of your failure. There are always those that are waiting for the justification of their sceptical opinion of you. To prove them wrong, you are pressurised to exert yourself more. 2 Corinthians 7:5 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.
Somebody needs you to fail. Yesterday’s victory or success is not enough. 1 Corinthians 9:2-4 KJV If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord. Mine answer to them that do examine me is this, Have we not power to eat and to drink?
God loves you the way you are, may even accept you the way you are but God cannot use you the way you are. Hence, there will be pressure to bring the best out of you.
Whoever tells you that you are perfect as you are is misleading you. You are yet to get to the best you can be.
Isaiah 48:10-11 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction. For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.
James 1:2-4 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
Psalm 66:10-12 For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried. Thou broughtest us into the net; thou laidst affliction upon our loins. Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water: but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.
WHAT THE PRESSURE IS MEANT TO BRING OUT
- Your obedience to God’s instructions
The young prophet. King Saul
- Your integrity and values are tested..
Annanias and Saffira.
- Your faith level
David Psalm 26:2 Judge me, O Lord ; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the Lord ; therefore I shall not slide. Examine me, O Lord , and prove me; try my reins and my heart. For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.
Abraham: Genesis 22:1-3 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.
Romans 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
- Our Commitment to God is tested. Paul was tested to back down. Acts 21:4, 10-14 And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem. And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul’s girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.
2 Corinthians 4:6-10 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.